Why you should never work for Stryker (the surgical equipment company)!

Stryker is a surgical equipment/instrument company (like Guidant, Sklar, Roboz, Millenium, and others).  For me as a medical sales recruiter, Stryker stands out among medical sales companies, and not in a good way.

The reason I believe that you should never work for Stryker is that I have never seen anyone have a long-term relationship with them in my 17+ years in the medical sales industry.  They don’t invest in their people, they don’t promote well, and they don’t have a problem firing people–I think they pink-slip the bottom 25% almost every quarter.  You might say, “Well, I’m better than the bottom 25%, so I don’t have a problem.”  But, there are circumstances that can easily be beyond your control–for example, maybe there’s a GPO (Group Purchasing Organization) or some other group organization your hospital belongs to…if they sign a contract with another vendor, then they quit working with you.  You did nothing to cause that, and you have no control over it, but it makes a massive difference in your sales territory numbers.  All of a sudden, you drop to the bottom 25%, and you’re let go.  Is that the kind of commitment you want from a company that you work for and invest sweat, blood and tears for?  I don’t think so.  (It’s not a good references opportunity, either.)

Surgical companies do pay tremendous amounts of money, if you do well at it.  However, you have to be able to be in the surgical suite at 5AM in order to be available to surgeons, and those surgeons are a pain in the tail.  They (mostly) have egos as big as Texas, and they expect that you will pander to them.  And if you don’t, they have 3 or 4 vendors sitting right behind you who will.  (Story:  I had a friend who went to work for one of these companies–for a year and a half, although he no longer works there.  He did make $300,000, but he also said that was the year his hair turned gray.  He had no family life, he felt stressed the entire time, and he felt as if the competition was right on his heels.  You could say that’s just him, but that’s some tremendous job stress for anybody.)

When I see “Stryker” on a resume, I don’t want to even talk to the person.  In my mind, they’re somewhat “ruined.”  They’ve been able to make very big money, and they will always think that’s what they’re worth, in any job.  In reality, they aren’t worth that unless they can continue to work at that particular pace, selling that particular product, dealing with that particular nasty little customer–surgeons.

BONUS:  Sign up for this FREE webinar:  How to Land a Job in Medical Sales.  It’s an hour of straight talk from the medical sales recruiter on the 6 essential steps to transitioning into medical sales that anyone can do, even if you have no experience.  You don’t want to miss this unique opportunity to hear job-landing tips from a medical sales expert!

Here’s an another opportunity for you!  Sign up for an additional FREE webinar:  How to Answer Interview Questions.   I will teach you how to crush your interview with the words, strategies, and tools you need to get the hiring manager to practically beg you to take the job!

Written by Peggy McKee - the medical sales recruiter
Get top medical sales candidates at PHC Consulting

How to Get Into Medical Sales
Learn how to get into this great field - insider secrets & tips.

30/60/90 Day Sales Plans
Sales plan templates with audio coaching - nail your interview.

Comments

57 Responses to “Why you should never work for Stryker (the surgical equipment company)!”

1. India on May 14th, 2012 6:51 am

Avoid Working in their Indian Office too.
    Lot of Politics and Overpaid Employees, who will do anything
    to save their Asses.

Avoid Some Groups … if one is smart he/she should investigate
    about the R&D Groups here.

the Surgical Group – which they say comprises of blah blah has one of the worst people in the Industry.

Your stay in surgical group can be anything between 3- 30 months.
    Be aware of the people before joinining SGTC India.

2. Sundeep on May 18th, 2012 10:20 am

Are these reviews also applicable for Stryker in the uk?

I am going for my final interview in a couple weeks and there is a high chance I get it.

I was under the impression that Stryker is in the top 100 companies to work for so I assumed its pretty good!

3. jetsam on May 20th, 2012 3:03 am

One of the mysteries of life is how stryker got onto the fortune list. Either the Fortune method for finding the top employers is rotten or stryker are hiding it well. in response to your q sundeep i never dealt with uk but every other office around the world i dealt with were dicey. Its an american comapny to its core in that arrogance and over the top behavior is seen as a virtue. Its nasty.

4. mike on May 21st, 2012 9:24 pm

I think folks must always bear in mind that stryker is for a person with a very very specific personality. thats why we ensure in the first few months that folks who dont fit our mold are asked to leave.it is the fairest thing to all. true the turnaround is big but no one gets a free dinner at stryker. we can replace easily and mist always be certain that we have exactly the right person – not ‘we think they are good for the role and stryker’ it must be ‘i know that’. Face facts you may not fit in at stryker and we will ask that you leave quickly after you start if we think it.

5. Shetty on May 22nd, 2012 1:08 am

@ MIKE:

I will tell you one story Jack and Jill both used to work in US ARMY.
    Jill was Jack’s Boss and did everything possible to humiliate and Insult Jaick.

Jack Left the Army and joined a Private Company.

FEW YEARS LATER…

Jack became the Manager, out of nowhere Jill’s Resume came to him.
    This was the time.Jack hired Jill through his reportees and did not show his face.

JILL joined the same company,after completing HR formalities etc. he was asked to sign a bond for 2 years.JILL did.

Guess What, this was the time when JACK appeared and told JILL I will be your manager for next two years. WELCOME !

Luck can turn anyway.. you do it to me. I’ll do it to you.

STRYKER ( especially the managers and leads) be careful !

6. nathaniel on May 22nd, 2012 8:52 pm

W..w..wait mike so you are telling me there is a high chance i wont make it through the provisional because you may not decide i fit . Your opinion bothing else.what you are telling me is stryker goes further than other companies here and stryker see the provisional as just another interview? Ok! Application withdrawn! Not leaving another job to go to stryker.

7. Rmoney on May 25th, 2012 2:39 pm

Stryker sales representatives are expendable human resources. They always have been and always will be.

They are not intelligent; they’re pretty much the jock/assholes you went to high school with that aren’t smart enough to get REAL degrees from REAL schools….so they end up in medical devices sales where they can make that CASH MONEY (according to them). I know a few, and have come across many, and, for the most part, they are undereducated, and have a sense of entitlement. But do they deserve any of it? NO!

I am extremely competitive, and a former athlete in college, but I take education as a much more important asset when considering the strength of my work force.

Sales reps fit the dumb jock mentality to a T. Let’s not give these people much credit….for they are, truly, expendable. Stryker knows this, which is why they can afford to have that 25% bottom pink-slip policy. This country will never have a shortage of dumb jocks looking to make some quick CASH MONEY. Real talk.